The department of General Surgery ,ASRAM Medical College started functioning since its inception in the year 2000, and adopted evidence & protocol based management to improve health care facilities in and around Eluru, W.G.Dt . The institute takes pride in training Undergraduates and Post graduates , to provide best health care professionals to the society.
The department of General Surgery is lead by laureates in the field, consisting of 6 units headed by HOD, Professors, Associate Professors & Assistant Professors who are highly qualified and dedicated , delivering uncompromised surgical care to the patients round the clock, through out the year. It is the collective effort of our residents and faculty.
We have three general surgical theatres, one emergency theatre and one septic theatre which are well equipped and facilitate to conduct an average of 450 operations per month including
General Surgical Procedures :
- Surgeries for various types of Hernias.
- Surgery for disorders of Thyroid gland, Parathyroid Glands and Salivary glands.
- Surgeries for Breast Lumps.
- Surgeries for Varicose Veins.
- Surgeries for Haemorrhoids, Fissure in Ano and Anal Fistulas including Stapler Hemorrhoidepexy.
- Management of Diabetic Foot .
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse.
- Minor Procedures include Hydrocele , Circumcision, Orchidectomy, Skin Grafting, Excision of Skin Tumors etc.
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy( Gall Bladder Surgery).
- Laparoscopic Appendicectomy.
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repairs.
- Laparoscopic CBD Explorations.
- Laparoscopic Gastrectomy.
- Laparoscopic Cysto Gastrostomy.
- Laparoscopic Duodenojejunostomy.
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgeries.
- Laparoscopic Vagatomy and Gastrojejunostomy.
- Laparoscopic Fundoplication.
- Laparoscopic Spleenectomy.
Major Gastro Intestinal and Cancer Surgeries.
- Surgeries for Thyroid and Breast Cancers including neck dissections.
- Surgeries for all Gastro Intestinal cancers including Whipples Procedure for Pancreatic Cancer.
- Major Pancreatic surgeries including Cystogastrostomy, Pancreatico Jejunostomy and distal Pancreatectomy.
Department is now planning to start a Bariatric Surgery unit, the first of its kind in West Godavari District.
- Research study is done on various topics like influence of PRP (platelet rich plasma) in wound healing. Use of bovine colostrum in wound healing.
- Entire department of General Surgery is actively involved in the teaching program forunder graduates (MBBS) and post graduate (M.S) students in conducting theory classes as well as clinical demonstrations.
- Post graduate teaching includes CME’S, live web telecast of surgeries, live interactive sessions from reputed national institutions. The post Graduates have also won first Prizes in the state Conferencs multiple times for poster presentations.
- Inter departmental seminars is a regular feature.
- Hands on workshop regarding suturing techniques and anastamosis are conducted regularly.
- PG’s from Asram regularly participate in Regional, State & National conferences.
- Multiple articles were published in National and International journals.
- Skills lab with mannequin and advanced laparoscopic skills lab with Endotrainers are
- Both faculty and PG’s are being sent for various workshops conducted outside for purpose of training laparoscopy.
- The students are also exposed to the guest lecturers from the surgical specialities of our institute and also specialists from various other institutes.
- ASRAM PG’S are posted to our in house Superspeciality departments including of Neurosurgery with Neuroendoscopy and Neuro navigation procedures. CTVS ( CABG and valvular replacement), Urology (endoscopic procedures , renal transplantation), Pediatric surgery procedures and Plastic Surgery operations.
Dr.P.Shirin got prize for poster in state conference 2017
Topic : A Rare cause of Intestinal Obstruction Ileo Sigmoid knotting
2).Dr.A.T.Rao , Professor of Surgery elected as President for AP chapter of Association of Surgeons of India (ASI), 2017.
3) In Final MBBS Part II Examination Results Undergraduates V.Shravani and Manikanta.got university 1st & 2nd ranks in 2016
4).In Final MBBS Part II Examination results D.Narayanamma got Distinction in 2017.
5). In final MBBS Part II Examinations results M.Manisha got Distinction in 2018.
6) Dr.N.Srinivas Ayyappa, Dr.U,Srinivasulu , Dr.O.Ravichander secured superspeciality seats in Surgical Oncology,Surgical Gastroenterology and Urology respectively.